Sus

I like turtles

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery (Flavia de Luce Mysteries) - Alan Bradley I was worried I might not like this, for exactly two reason: The story is told from first person POV, by a Precocious Child (TM).

However, I shouldn't have worried, because Flavia is brilliant. BRILLIANT. Her voice is incredible - highly intelligent with a side order of naive innocence that had me imagining her winking at me furiously from the page whilst she plays 'who, me?' with the police.

I liked this a lot. Flavia's thought processes and deductions are believable and natural. I feel jealous of her (who wouldn't love to have a fully pimped-out chemistry lab at their disposal?), and sorry for her (she has lost her mother; her father is emotionally distant because he's unable to show/share his grief, and her two sisters aren't really interested in her most of the time) and proud of her (she never complains and she reacts to most situations with such aplomb it makes you grin).

Quibble: Overall, the book is too long. The plot ambles along at the pace of a Sherlock Holmes story, which is great for shorter stories, but not for novels. Certain passages (for example, when she visits the school and climbs the tower), spend so much time on recording the minutest details, I got a bit impatient here and there.

Length and pacing aside, I really enjoyed this, and I will most definitely be picking up the next one in the series. Thanks again for the rec, Jana! :)